The Department of Mechanical Engineering established in the year 2003 has a capacity of 180 students in the B. Tech Programme and 18 students in M. Tech programme with highly qualified faculty from all the domains of Mechanical, Production and Industrial Engineering.
The Ramanujan Block which houses the Lecture Theaters of Mechanical Engineering Department was built in the year of 2012 with all the prominent teaching aids installed in the Lecture Theaters. The workshop and other labs related to the department are facilitated in Vishwakarma and Kalpana Chawla Block for effective distribution and utilization of facility. All the laboratories of the department are well equipped with sophisticated and latest in time technology and machines.
Contemporary look of the administrative block speaks about the vision of the Institute ahead of time and mindset to model the student according to the latest trends and scenario of the world.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is one of the major department which involves activities in the Mechanical engineering profession and its principles in design, study, development and construction of nearly all of the physical devices and systems. Continued research and development have led to better machines and processes helping the mankind. The impressive array of students makes the department advance in the field of creativity and renowned on many Nation as well as on international platforms.
To create globally competent mechanical engineers capable of working in an interdisciplinary environment, contributing to society through innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
To create an excellent teaching, learning environment which helps us to provide an opportunity to help mechanical engineering students to emerge as one of the best technocrats. These technocrats will be capable of analyzing interdisciplinary engineering problems to help our society by providing innovative solutions. They will become future leaders, entrepreneurs and researchers who are capable of adapting to the changing environment of engineering and technology across the globe.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To provide students with a sound foundation in the mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyze engineering problems and to prepare them for graduate studies.
- To develop technical competency of students in applying broad, fundamental-based knowledge and up-to-date skills to perform professional work in mechanical engineering related disciplines.
- To develop the ability amongst students in applying comprehensive design methodology pertaining to mechanical engineering, incorporating the use of the economic, environmental and social impact of design.
- To provide opportunity for students to work as part of teams of various activities and multidisciplinary projects.
- To prepare students for successful careers in industry that meet the needs of Indian and multinational companies.
- To prepare students for advanced education, research and development, and other creative efforts in science and technology.
- To engage students in professional societies and to always apply human values in professional ethics.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- To be able to understand scientific principles and apply them to the practice of engineering.
- To be able to interpret and use the language of engineering and express it effectively.
- To be able to apply the basic principles of manufacturing, design, thermal and industrial engineering in real time engineering problems.
- To be able to develop innovative and creative solutions to engineering problems.
- To be able to apply the innovative ideas to search for the optimal solution for engineering problems taken into consideration cost, safety, environment and other constraints.
- To be able to formulate, analyze, produce, test and evaluate an engineering product.
- To be able to use computers as a tool for solving engineering problems.
- To be able to develop technical base, necessary confidence and problem solving skills to grow continually throughout the career.
- To be able to communicate effectively.
- To be able to develop the spirit of team work.
- To be able to correlate engineering solutions and contemporary issues in a global and societal context.
- To be able to practice engineering with ethical standards and with a sense of responsibility to the profession and society.
- To be able to pursue higher studies, be industry ready and develop entrepreneurial skills.